Saturday, April 24, 2010

The kindest felon


Is there chocolate in Prison? Well, I don’t really care just as long as Michael Scofield’s there to make my day.



Yes, I’m a Prison break avid viewer.

If you must know, the story revolves around Lincoln Burrows, who was set up by a group named “The Company” to have killed the US Vice-President’s brother, Terrence Steadman. Burrows was put into prison and then, later, sentenced to death. Having known about this, his brother Michael Scofield, a structural engineer, believes that Linc is innocent and was just framed up. In his desperation to stop his brother’s execution, Michael scammed to have robbed a bank to intentionally get him into Fox River prison after having its blueprint tattooed on his upper body to break Linc out.



When I first heard about the series, I told myself that only guys would appreciate the fact of breaking out of prison. It is, firstly, a bad thing to do and almost an impossible one with the hundreds of jail guards and CCTVs.


Since we’re talking about US prison, it’s even harder to survive because of the operated jail gates, murderous brawls, inside jobs and if you happen to be pretty - something nasty. There’s also maximum security where you’ll be isolated and not be allowed to talk to anyone even to the person who brings you food. In other words, it’s like an ASYLUM with a different spelling.


Life in prison is also like the outside world, though. There are benefits that normal people get and even more. You get to have 3 hearty meals a day, medical and dental services and be spared from paying taxes. It must be a relief. For some, it’s like living somewhere between heaven and hell but for most, just the latter.



There are cruel guards who’d favor the richer inmate and take all your money and goods if you seem to be the shy, quiet type. Social groups are also popular in prison. It’s like you’re in High School -- and there are groups of geeks, cheerleaders, varsity players, activists, artists, meanies and Goths.



In Prison break, Michael Scofield is known to have planned the whole thing out as he chooses his future allies like John Abruzzi, an Italian drug lord whom he used to have connections with jail guards and acquire VIP treatments. There’s also C-Note, T-Bag, Patoshik, Fernando Sucre. All of whom conspired to get the freedom they’ve always wanted.



If I’d be given a chance to choose a crime I’d go to prison for, I’d rather be an assassin. Haha... How cool is that? It’s like playing Counterstrike for its senseless killing with the thrill of getting paid. I mean, making it one’s bread and butter is just exciting.  Sounds morbid and scary, I know. I considered facing a shrink already because sometimes, an ugly irony amazes me. I can be evil at times.


Michael’s crime was larceny, how boring can that be? But if you think about it, his intentions of getting in are the most touching. Who would ever do that for their brother? Definitely, he has a big brain but a much bigger heart.


As I watch the final season, Michael said: “I don’t wanna run anymore”. I felt his hunger for freedom, his morality, his struggle to fight for what’s right, his search for the truth. It was like the feeling I had during Obama’s inauguration – overwhelmed and teary-eyed.


I realized that the program is for everybody and doesn’t have a specific male audience and understood the value of freedom that sometimes, we take for granted.


The negativity of captivity made me think of letting loose once in a while. You know… break the rules, smile, hate, if you must but always, always know your limitations. We only live once. Let’s live it well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment